Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy Inter-Dependence Day!

I'm creating a new holiday.  Hear ye, hear ye--from this day forward, on July 5th, the day after Independence Day, I plan to celebrate our inter-dependence.  Not sure if it should be hyphenated but that's how I'm branding it.  It'll be easier for Google to create a cool doodle if there's a hyphen.

Much like independence, inter-dependence is a tricky thing.  With independence comes responsibility and accountability.  In my work, I try to create an environment for people to move from dependency on social services to self sufficiency.  The hardest part about my job is working with people who have gotten over the hump but are trying to do everything themselves.  I use a lot of sentences like "You are going to have to manage your resources rather than having your resources manage you" and "the important thing about self sufficiency is the sufficiency part and realizing that your community is part of your self."  Bleh.  I've come realize that it's not about independence--it's about conscious inter-dependece.

I consider myself a very independent person.  But I really have no patience for dealing with any mechanical problems with my car.  Yes, I can change a tire and put on new windshield wipers.  But I don't want to.  I once had a mechanic almost faint on me when I told him that the car was making a noise but it went away when I turned the radio up.  It's just not my bag.

On the other hand, my dad loves to go hang out with the mechanic.  It makes him happy.  It makes me happy.  Pop has tea with Samthemechanic.  My car gets fixed.

And that's the thing about inter-dependence.  There is balance.  There is equity in the satisfaction of all the parties involved.

I think this may be one of those multi-post topics.  I probably shouldn't have started it until I had more clarity on it but, hell, it's my blog, I'll do whatever I want.  Lots of ideas about this are swirling through my head right now and I think that's a really good thing.

No comments: